Advertising can be very expensive and not very targeted. If you do want to use paid advertising, you should get clarity on:
- The reach of the publication or site (i.e. what is the circulation /how many unique users
- Where you advert will be featured (e.g. what page in a newspaper or on a website to make sure it doesn’t get missed)
- When the advert will be made public
Display media (Posters, flyers, pamphlets and brochures)
Consider where and how will these be distributed. There are companies that provide delivery of events flyers and posters, such as Don’t Panic, Mobius and London Calling.
If you decide to distribute your own printed material, it’s important to have a structured plan:
- Who is your audience and where can you find them? (Cafes, schools, libraries, local businesses, GP surgeries, etc.)
- Create a database of where posters can be placed. This can be referred to and updated in years to come.
- Collect information about the display venue and get permission to send your promotional material. Develop a relationship with a specific point of contact.
Facebook and Instagram advertising is among the most affordable options as you can run adverts for any amount and decide targeting and timelines. You’ll need to have or create a show page or business account to do this.
Here are examples of listing websites (some are also printed publications) where you can either upload your event for free, or pay for a listing. You will need to create your own account in each one you want to use. As well as, the direct contact details for advertising in these websites/publications.