Grant Fund Guidelines

About


The WAF2018 Grant Fund supports activities and events that will take place as part of Wandsworth Arts Fringe from 4-20 May 2018.

The grants are funded directly by Wandsworth Council and managed by Enable Leisure & Culture, a new, charitable staff mutual delivering Wandsworth Council’s leisure and culture services.

Wandsworth Arts Fringe supports the cultural life of the borough and plays an important role as a testing ground and market place for new ideas and audiences. It can include street performances, family workshops, exhibitions, music, dance and all things in between - taking place indoors and outdoors in all corners of the borough in theatres, pubs, empty shops, libraries, parks, high streets, galleries, cellar etc.

 

Priorities

Applications should demonstrate arts content and meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • opening up new spaces or venues, indoors or outdoors, for arts to take place
  • reaching new and hard-to-reach audiences or participants
  • developing new work, artistic practice or working model

 

Whenever possible, proposals should draw upon, develop and nurture local talent through professional development opportunities and/or direct employment.

All applications must embrace equality of opportunity and professionalism.   By professionalism we mean, for example, undertaking risk assessments, having a safeguarding policy in place and recognising the need for artists to be paid for their work (though this can be valued in kind).

 

Awards

Grants will fund up to 70% of the total project cost. The maximum award is £2,000.

The fund is unable to support profit making ventures.

 

Who can apply?

Applications are open to organisations, partnerships and individuals that demonstrate how they meet the criteria of the grant.

Applicants do not have to be based in Wandsworth. However the proposal must take place in the borough and benefit Wandsworth residents. We recommend that you include a carefully considered marketing and audience development plan in your application.

The Council is unable to fund:

  • Projects which are for private gain, or knowingly result in a profit being made.        
  • Capital material costs, including framing and mounting costs.
  • Events and activities that are primarily fundraising activities.
  • Study or training fees of any kind including activities which are a required component of educational courses.
  • Activities which promote a particular political or religious view, or any project which entices racial, religious or sexual hatred or extremism.
  • Refreshments or meals.
  • Core running costs or overhead (e.g. utilities or rent).
  • Loan repayments.
  • VAT.
  • Budget deficits.
  • Endowments.
  • Activities which do not benefit the residents of Wandsworth.
  • Activities which have already taken place.
  • Duplication of existing events of projects in the borough.
  • Ongoing projects or activities such as workshops already in existence.
  • Projects which do not have a strong artistic component.
  • If artists are paid a fee we are unable to cover their travel costs.
  • If the project involves a school, we require a demonstrated financial contribution from the school.

 

 

How to apply

You will need to complete an application form once applications are open and submit it electronically to arts@wandsworth.gov.uk.

We advise that you speak with the arts team at enable about your application before submitting. You can call on 0208 871 8711 or email arts@wandsworth.gov.uk.

There will be 2 Grants Clinics held on 21 and 23 November, where you will be able to discuss your application with the WAF team. Please check our website for details and how to book nearer the time.

 

Key dates

  • Applications open: 2 October 2017
  • Grants Clinics: 21 and 23 November 2017
  • Applications close: 10am Monday 27 November 2017
  • Outcome notification: 5 January 2018

 

Successful applications

Your offer may differ from the amount you have asked for and will be bound by a contractual grant agreement issued by the Grant Fund Development Officer. You must sign and return this agreement. Your offer may be contingent on fulfilment of special conditions or provision of further information.

You will be required to acknowledge the grant in all marketing and publicity as the terms and conditions dictate.

 

Payment of the grant

80% of the grant will be paid on receipt of the signed letter and fulfilment of any special conditions. The remaining 20% will be paid upon completion of your project and receipt of a Grant Report. You will receive a template Grant Report upon notification of outcome.

 

Alterations

If your budget changes after submission, for example due to unexpected income increases or lower than expected match funding, the amount payable will be at the discretion of enable.